Monday, November 21, 2011

Night

11:33pm. Found the perfect comfy spot in bed. Can feel my muscles beginning to uncurl and relax. Eyes weighed down by the sandman finally close. Silence creeps into my ears. And slowly I begin to drift.

Wait. What was that? Ears strain in the night. Soft shuffling noises, like tiny little legs pumping, ease their way out of the baby monitor. Just trying to get comfortable my brain rationalizes. I begin to drift.

Wait. What was that? A small whimper drifts it's way into my ears. Not to worry, just a tiny little dream, my brain tells my heart. I begin to drift.

Wait. What was that? A speedy clicking noise penetrates the peace of the silent room. A pacifier being worked on with a vegence. Just a little self-soothing, my brain tells my ears, it will pass in a minute. I begin to drift.

Eyes snap open. Heart skips a beat. Dreams washed away. A noise akin to a fire alarm pierces though the night with such volume I fear the speaker will blow out.

I roll over, face my loving husband, "Hey, baby's awake, your turn."

No comments:

Post a Comment