Saturday, November 26, 2011

I want to be an astronaut when I grow up......

The Planetarium in Chicago was one of my all time fav places to go when I was little (after the Sci and Industry museum of course).  In fact when I moved back to chicago for awhile I even started working there (and I am still upset that Volunteers are forced to park on the damn street opening themselves up to parking ticket after parking ticket).  Space has always held a special place in my heart, and no dad, not just because of aliens.( Tho I have many theroies on that subject). So when I heard about the closing of our Space Programs, I was shocked!  and a little upset.  While I didn't ever want to be an astronaut when I was little (I wanted to be Indiana Jones) I knew plenty of kids who did.  I watch a lot of tv ( A LOT) and I ran across this show on Nat Geo (national Geographic for those not in the know).  When you first watch it you are like "oh great, 5 rednecks blowing *S* up" but keep watching, because trust me it's going to blow your mind.  First of all 2 of the 5 are actual "rocket scientists", a third is a retired NASA mechanic that worked on the Apollo program, and the other 2 are pretty sharp themselves.  I watched an episode yesterday where they made a radio telescope in the yard using regular tv satillites from neighboring homes.  And yep, they started getting a signal every 36seconds.  Basically this show was put together by Travis Taylor in hopes of spurring some interest in science and space in the younger generations.  Remember just cause they talk slow don't mean they are slow.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/rocket-city-rednecks/

No comments:

Post a Comment